Best Home Theater in a Box – Bring Your Favorite Movies to Life
Your new TV is here, and it is more beautiful than anything that you could have ever dreamed about. Your excitement is greater than that of a kid on Christmas as you plug in and set up your latest vessel of joy; you are nearly bursting at the seams as you sink into the couch and get ready to enjoy the scintillating sounds and sights of The Dark Knight, one of your favorite films. As the movie gets going, however, you realize that there is a problem: it looks beautiful, but the audio performance isn’t quite there. You’ve got the crystal-clear picture, but now you need to find the best home theater in a box for you to fully enjoy the movie experience.
Movie fanatics everywhere will realize the sound is every bit as important as sight, and a movie isn’t a movie without quality technology. Home theaters in a box, or HTIB, are a crucial inclusion for any perfect home theater experience.
First, you need to ask yourself why an HTIB is the right thing for you. What exactly are you looking for regarding your home theater and sound experience? What kind of sound do you want? How much work do you want to put into this? What is your budget? Is a box system or a bar system better? Would you be better off with an integrated system, or with a component system?
There are many questions to ask, but we live in an age of technology, and there are plenty of resources available to help you answer these questions.
Take advantage and take your time. Once you decide which direction you would like to go in, it is time to begin researching.
Sifting through the market
The task of researching your future HTIB can seem daunting, but once you get started, finding the perfect sound system isn’t quite as hard as it first appears. The process can be even more straightforward if you have a clear idea of your budget and what technology will work best with your television.
When researching, keep your home and surroundings in mind. If you live in an apartment or if you will be watching your movies in a small room, keep your search to HTIBs meant for smaller, more crowded spaces. If you have a large home or open studio, look for HTIBs best meant for spacious areas.
Do you have children or animals that you might need to safeguard your system from? Do you frequently host parties, or are you generally alone when watching movies? These are questions not always thought of in the technology hunt, but they are essential factors to keep in consideration.
Again, there is always help available. Search online through the countless articles and resources, or visit your local Best Buy or other technology store and speak with a consultant. For an easy comparison of different products, see Top Ten Reviews for Best Home Theater in a Box, complete with overall ratings, pricing, performance, specs, and warranty information.
Here are Amazon’s current top five HTIB Best Sellers:
- The Yamaha Yht-4950U 4K Ultra HD 5.1-Channel Home Theater System with Bluetooth
Price: $479.95 new
Rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars, with 94 customer reviews
- Yamaha YHT-5950UBL 4K Ultra HD 5.1-Channel Home Theater System with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and MusicCast. Works with Alexa
Price: $599.95 new
Rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars, with 39 customer reviews
- The Yamaha YHT-4950UBL 5.1-Channel Home Theater in a Box System with Bluetooth
Price: $585.95 new
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars, with 134 customer reviews
- Sony DAVTZ140 DVD Home Theater System
Price: $249.99 new
Rating: 3.7 out of 5 stars, 342 customer reviews
- Klipsch Reference Theater Pack 5.1 Surround Sound System Bundle with Pioneer VSX-LX303 9.2-Channel 4k Ultra HD Network A/V Receiver
Rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars, 27 customer reviews
Building your own
After looking through the HTIBs available, maybe you are asking yourself: why don’t I build my sound system?
That is a valid option; there are many do-it-yourself types out there who would much prefer building their HTIB using various parts that can be bought separately. That can be risky if you’re not the most tech-savvy person in the world, but if you do know what you are doing or if you are willing to put in the time and energy, it is a great way to save money and further customize your home theater and sound experience.
If you do decide to build an HTIB on your own, there are a plethora of resources available to guide you through the process, such as this extensive guide from The Wirecutter with a focus on gear and technology that can complement your sound system.
Getting the most out of it
Once you have purchased or put together your best home theater in a box, you are ready to enjoy the movie-watching experience fully.
Here are a few fun ideas to make the most out of your new HTIB:
- Consider getting a projector and screen to create more of a movie theater feel. Sure, shiny new TVs can be great, but nothing beats a big screen!
- Try watching these 22 movies, including classics such as The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, as well as a few more recent films that will make the most of your new sound experience.
- A great sound system does not have to be exclusively used for movies. Cultivate the perfect music listening experience or try out 2020’s best television shows!
- There are always ways to improve your HTIB. Remember to keep your surroundings in mind, and find ways to alter your environment for maximum enjoyment.
- What part of “home theater in a box” says indoors? None! You don’t have to contain your prime movie experience inside; there is plenty of technology that can easily be moved into your backyard. Did someone say movie pool day?
What is your approach to the best home theater experience?